You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - Where should I start?

Forum - DK Lounge - General

Subscribe to this thread Where should I start? created by ProxyFox on July 11, 2015

PM Offline
ProxyFox7/11/15 1:38am
Okay, so Dream Keepers has been on my list for a while now, about a year actually and now that I've gotten to it I'm wondering if I should start with the prelude web comic or the graphic novel.

PM Offline
SandwichPie7/11/15 7:09am
It does not really matter. Both the GNS and prelude do a great job of introducing you to the world, and neither of them feel like they shovel you introduction information even when you have read the other, so reading either of them will not spoil the other.

Personally I would recommend reading the GNS first, if only because it gives you a concrete narrative. I find it more engaging to be thrust into a story; the GNS is the true story, and the prelude gives you some useful and interesting hindsight.

Not to mention, I am sure that the GNS was written first without the concrete intention of a prelude being made, and is thus tailored for the new reader, and is consequently the intended way for it to be read (originally at least).

However, it may be better for you to read the prelude first if you don't mind a slower introduction to the story and do not want to miss any small details on your first read (but I am sure you will find yourself re-reading the GNS many times, always finding something new.).

PM Offline
Kirito7/11/15 7:43am
Personally, I recommend the prelude. This is because it introduces you to the characters and fleshes them out quite a bit. That way, you won't be confused by who's who or what's going on.

PM Offline
JudasScorpioDeMazier7/11/15 3:53pm
I'd prefer the GNS to go right to the throat of things in the series.

PM Offline
DanWithTheHat7/13/15 6:04am
My personal opinion is that the GNS is the way to start. It will be a nice jump into the action and then prelude can be the relaxing read after you run out of novels to read through. The novels hold up well on their own without prelude but prelude does give some more insight into how the characters were brought up.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader7/14/15 11:33am
I recommend starting with the GNS, then Prelude, then the GNS again.

The first time you read the GNS sets up a good introduction to the story and lets you get the mindset down. Prelude offersca break from the darker themes of the GNS and it gives a bunch of backstory that you can think about when re reading the GNS. And you will want to re read the GNS to see the stuff you missed the first time as well as read it with the knowledge from prelude.

PM Offline
DanWithTheHat7/14/15 3:56pm
Following Mobiles advice, read the GNS a third time after for all the hidden things in the art. There's a ton!

PM Offline
FoxBrethren7/14/15 4:12pm
Then read the Prelude again with a new perspective from rereading the GNS.

See a pattern of advice forming?

You must be logged in to post to a thread.