You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - Advice on writing stories and plots

Forum - Reality - Culture Clash

Subscribe to this thread Advice on writing stories and plots created by Dawonguy on July 5, 2015

PM Offline
Dawonguy7/5/15 11:41pm
As we know, Dave has written a few articles on writing stories and plots, so I guess what I want to know here is what you guys think of it. Maybe we could discuss what other stories do and how it could have been better?

(Or I could change this thread to being about Jurassic World because I wouldn't mind discussing it's writing. I think I can do that)

PM Offline
SandwichPie7/6/15 7:53am
Well, you probably know that Dave had suggested the book "Wired for story". Although I have not read his other book suggestions about how to write a narrative, I can say that if you have not read any of them yet, wired for story will be invaluable. I suggest getting a copy as it goes into a substantial amount of depth, and clears up _many_ misconceptions, however it is not always concise.

Now as for a good example, I know it is unorthodox to suggest a fanfiction, but Fallout: Equestria excels technically in the character department better than any other book I have read (especially in the protagonist department). So if you want an example to examine, have a read of that.

If you do not however want to do a lot of reading to learn how to write a story well, I think the most important tip from the book was to only tell the reader only what they need to know. If you say that Sally had just been to buy a rucksack, you better make that rucksack appear and play a part later, because the reader will not forget about it and will be constantly try to work out _why_ he/she was told about it, and will become annoyed when they were told about it for no reason.
Anyway, the book explains much better than I can in one post, so I recommend checking it out if you are serious about writing (I only read it because I was bored :3).

PM Offline
Alej7/6/15 9:17am
Wait are you asking for story-making tutorials?

PM Offline
MobileCrusader7/6/15 10:31am
In highschool, we had to read a book called "how to write like an author" or something the like. It was pretty good. We also read Stephen King's 20 tips for writing, which is a good read too.

In a side note, always open to giving suggestions for story if you want to discuss. Just pm me or hit me up on Skype.

PM Offline
Dawonguy7/6/15 11:39am
I actually have no idea what I am asking for to be completely honest. I mean, I've always wanted to write a comic of my own (more for a hobby), but I guess in that pursuit, I've become an "eternal student".

I guess I'm wondering if there are any other creative people here who are writing a story of their own.

PM Offline
Kirito7/6/15 12:05pm
I do plan to host a webcomkc of my own in the future, but right now I'm refining my style and skills.

PM Offline
Alej7/6/15 12:16pm
Im actually working on a comic already :D I can give some advice.

(you can find it on DA. My name is Sharperofthefew)

PM Offline
Dawonguy7/6/15 1:19pm
So where do you guys think the line is where you've done enough preparation for writing a story (in whatever medium you choose) and you can actually put pen to paper?

Also, when writing something, how do you deal with second thoughts that make you want to restart the whole project if not change critical components of the story?

PM Offline
Alej7/6/15 1:38pm
There is no real line. Its not black and white. You just gotta think of the vague plot then fill in the gaps. Also, if you don't start working on the story itself, you may never get to it. You just gotta jump in and get to work.

PM Offline
RashallVetkay7/6/15 1:51pm
Don't be surprised if you read over your work and decide to scrap a few sentences, or even pages and re write it as it is completely normal. I've written a few stories myself and as Alej said there is no real preparation just let you imagination take hold and guide you.

Another good thing that I learned from English Comp is do a free write where you don't worry about if it makes sense and don't worry about spelling mistakes just get it all out. That way you can see what you want to keep and add on to and what you want to save for another part of the series.

Also enjoy yourself, do it for fun don't let it be stressful don't be afraid to leave it alone for a while. I've left works alone for a week or two and come back to read over it and then suddenly I know where I want to go with it.

PM Offline
Alej7/6/15 2:01pm
Also if you wanna make it a comic, don't be afraid to update and change your style over time. Every good artist does it.

Second, I normally like to have everything organized. I plan three chapters ahead in my comic, and know what events will happen in each chapter. You need to find order, plan out a schedule, allocate a portion of your time to work on it every day. Never stop practicing, don't go on a hiatus ever (unless its between chapters but I don't even do that lol). If you stop working on it you may lose interest.

Finally, you need to take inspiration from other works, cause you cant always make a whole story on your own.

PM Offline
Dawonguy7/12/15 5:37pm
Started writing a script, and I'm not sure if it's Dave who said this (possibly Mark Crilley), but my characters somehow surprised me as they're starting to come to life, probably because I'm trying to get inside their heads especially with the dialog. I mean, the protagonist is coming out more deceptive and foul-mouthed than planned while I have another one that's becoming rather adorable, but that just might be my perception of the characters.

PM Offline
RashallVetkay7/12/15 7:19pm
That will happen a lot lol

You must be logged in to post to a thread.