You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - The Recipe Thread

Forum - Reality - Miscellaneous

Subscribe to this thread The Recipe Thread created by Ferrous on February 3, 2016

PM Offline
Ferrous2/3/16 3:22pm
I've been kicking around here and in the chat (read: Shamelessly lurking) and it occurred to me that there isn't a place to trade recipes for food, drinks, etc. (If I'm wrong and I just didn't discover it, well, I never claimed to be a genius).

SO! Without any further Ado, I give you, ladies and gentlemen of the forum, the Recipe thread! Post your favorite recipes here for food, drink, foody drinks, etc.

And, to kick it off in style, my recipe for Sausage Rolls.

You will need the following:

1 package of puff pastry sheets (found in the freezer section at your super market)
1 lb of regular sausage meat
1 lb of sage sausage meat
Flour
1 onion
Black pepper
Ground sage
An egg.

For equipment, you will need:
A rolling pin.
A mixing bowl.
A small bowl.
A baking sheet
A kitchen knife
A fork.
An oven.
A grater.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Pull the puff pastry out of the freezer, let thaw & separate into sections. (It should already be divided into 3 sheets internally)

In the bowl, combine the sausage meat, and finely grate in at least 1/2 the onion. Add pepper & ground sage to taste. Set aside.

Once the pastry has thawed, flour generously & roll out until it's approximately doubled in size. (Typically, each sheet should reach about 18 inches by 9 inches or so, but your mileage may vary)

Arrange sausage meat along one of the long sides of the pastry in a long row, about 1 inch thick. Roll the pastry up, so the meat is all contained in the pastry. This should result in an inch long sausage filled pastry log.

Repeat until pastry & meat mixture are exhausted.

Cut your pastry - sausage logs into 1 inch sections and, using the knife, poke holes in the top to let air escape.

Crack the egg into your small bowl & mix until the yolk & white are combined. Using a fork, apply the egg wash to the pastries. (Note: this step is entirely optional, but does result in a nice finish)

Arrange as many rolls on your baking sheet as practical, and cook in the oven until the pastry is golden brown & the sausage is cooked through.

Once cooked, remove from the sheet & let cool on a plate.

Enjoy!

Further notes: this recipe is fairly variable and you can play around with the sausage meat filling. One variant that I found worked well used plain sausage meat, onion, shallots, ginger, soy sauce & rice vinegar, for instance. Or you can experiment. Maple sausage & chipotle powder, for instance.

Also, this particular recipe (and when I usually make them) I size the rolls about this big to be used as appetizers, but you can also make them larger and cut them longer, if you wished to serve them for lunch or a main course.

Feel free to experiment.

PM Offline
Ferrous2/15/16 7:41pm
Sweet & Sticky Chicken Wings:

I should begin this recipe by saying that my wife has many wonderful qualities. However, she was not possessed of a love of chicken wings when we first got married. These helped convert her.

You will need the following:

1 lb of chicken wings, separated into drums & flats. (Note: you can buy these pre-separated, but it's cheaper to buy the wings whole & separate them yourself. The wing tips may be discarded or frozen & retained for making stock)
1.5 cups of all purpose flour
2 eggs
Butter
1.5 cups of soy sauce
1 cup of rice vinegar
1 cup of sugar
4 generous tablespoons of ground ginger.
Black pepper
Two bowls
A baking sheet
1 large trash bag
A stove
Tinfoil
Tongs

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Take your baking sheet & cover with tinfoil. Set aside but keep within easy reach.

Open up the trash bag & fill with flour.
Take both eggs, Crack them into one bowl, and whisk together.

Take the wings and coat them first in the egg mix, making sure each wing is evenly coated. Then, immediately transfer each wing into the flour bag. (Note: this is best done one or two wings/flats at a time, depending on the size of the bowl).

Once all the wings are in the flour bag, give it a good shaking to ensure the wings receive an even flour coating. Add more flour if necessary.

Preheat your skillet on the stove & melt about a half a stick of butter in it. Cook the wings in the skillet until lightly browned on both sides. Add more butter as necessary. Transfer finished wings to the baking sheet, arranging evenly. Sprinkle with black pepper.

In the other bowl, combine half the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and ginger. Stir well until combined, then spoon over the wings making sure each get an even coating.

Once the wings are coated, put the baking sheet in the oven and cook for approximately 1 hour.

Using add the other half of the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar & ginger ot the sauce bowl & combine. This remaining sauce can be poured over the finished wings while tenting or spooned individually over the wings every 20 minutes during cooking.

After cooking is finished, remove from oven and transfer the wings to a plate. Cover with tinfoil and let stand for about 5 minutes.

Serves 4 people for a standard gathering, or one really hungry Ferrous.

PM Offline
Prometheus3/3/16 1:53pm
X3 Oooooh, nom. I need to get into cooking and give these a try sometime. Thank you for these lists. :3

PM Offline
Ferrous3/4/16 9:45pm
@prometheus : no problem! Good food is its own reward.

To save time, I'm going to post a link for bocquerones. What are bocquerones, you ask? They are super anchovies. Tangy, slightly salty, and delicious with bread, these are an excellent snack. You can find them at a shop that caters to Spanish ex-pats, or you can make them your self! (Note: these are a guilty pleasure of mine, and I can eat a pound of these over the course of a weekend. If you like regular anchovies, handle these with care! They're absurdly addictive)
http://fishcooking.about.com/od/smokebrine/ss/white_anchovies.htm#showall

PM Offline
origamifan3/8/16 12:50pm
Here is a recipe for seasoned potatoes (not sure of the translation.)

You will need:
1Kg of peeled potatoes
500g of tomatoes
3 peeled onions
1 pod of garlic
1 furnished bouquet
50 g of butter
1 cup of water
salt and pepper

cut the potatoes, the tomatoes, the onions and the garlic in pieces.

Put the butter in a stewpan or a pressure cooker on medium heat.

Once it is melted, add the vegetables, the furnished bouquet, salt and pepper, and the cup of water(make sure the furnished bouquet is buried into the preparation).

let it cook on medium heat for 45 minutes (15 if you're using a pressure cooker). Take the furnished bouquet off before eating.

PM Offline
origamifan3/8/16 1:13pm
And, while I'm at it, here is a recipe for cookies.

You will need:

250 g of flour
125 g of butter
125 g of sugar
2 eggs
half of a yeast sachet
200g of chocolate

Preheat your oven to 180 degrees.

In one mixing bowl, mix the flour and the yeast.

In another, knead the sugar and the softened butter together.
Add the two eggs, then continue to knead the mixture

Add in the flour/yeast and continue to knead for a minute to form the dough.

form small bowls with the dough and display them on a tinfoil-covered baking sheet (make sure each cookie is espaced from the other ones, as it will expand during the baking), flatten them a bit, then add the chocolate chunks.

put the baking sheet in the oven for 10-15 minutes.

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale3/8/16 8:01pm
I'll post something here soon. I just have to find the time to think of the ingredients and procedures XD

PM Offline
Koreth3/11/16 10:15am
Question: Are recipes we have found elsewhere on the Interwebz and verified to be delicious fair game (there's a fair amount of links I could post), or is this intended to stay mainly limited to things we have come up with ourselves?

PM Offline
Ferrous3/11/16 10:40am
@Koreth: That's a fair question.

Generally speaking, all recipes are copies of another. You need the same ingredients, cook time, materials, etc. Really all a recipe consists of are instructions for how to assemble something into a type of food.

For the sake of simplicity, I would say try to keep to things that you've successfully made yourself (or if not you, then your significant other, family member, etc).

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale3/13/16 12:55am
@Koreth:

Also, it's quite unique especially if you have your own variations of those specific recipes on the internet or in the cookbook that you've done, and that's where specialty comes from. I believe Ferrous and origamifan here might be posting their OWN recipes (even with the references) that others might enjoy as well.

Now it's my turn to put special recipes of my own, hehehe...

Rosemary Porkchops/Porksteaks Specialty

Equipment and Utilities to use:

- Kitchen Stove

- Frying pan
OR
- Grilling pan
OR
- Sauteing pan

- Pan lid (to cover)
- Teaspoon (for measuring)
- Spatula or Tongs
- Meat Tenderizer (Optional, mostly for porkchops)
- Chopping board (for the tenderizing)
- Bowl (for mixing all the ingredients)

Take note 1: Different pans might cause different wonderful results of the final output of your dish, so be sure to try them all, also it may be recommended to use the ceramic or coated ceramic nowadays because steel sticks the food onto it even with oil.

Ingredients are:

- Big pork chop/porksteak (at least two if you're hungry or have guests)
- Olive oil (extra virgin if possible)
- Rosemary (and Thyme)
- Garlic (or chunky Garlic Salt)
- Parsley leaves (flakes)
- Basil Leaves
- Black pepper (crushed or powdered)
- Cayenne pepper powder

Procedure:

1. For pork chops, pound the meat using the tenderizer at the chopping board until it is soft and tenderized. For pork steaks on the other hand, leave it at the chopping board for at least fifteen minutes to loosen the meat.

2. Place the meat into the large bowl. Add three to five teaspoons of olive oil into the large bowl and mixed the meat with your bare hands until they are coated with olive oil.

3. Using the teaspoon, spread each ingredients; the parsley flakes, basil leaves, black pepper, and cayenne powder on both sides of the meat/s, one teaspoon at a time.

4. Pour enough rosemary (and thyme) into the bowl that would cover the meat and mix all the ingredients with your bare hands until mostly of the rosemary are stick to the meat.

5. Pour a few drops olive oil into the pan (at least 7 seven teaspoons of it), and place your meat after heating the oil.

6. Cook at a low heated temperature. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes, then flip to the other side and cook for 10 to 15 or until they are well cooked (or rare, if you prefer).

7. And after that, it's time for the specialty to be served. Add condiments at the side if you like.

PM Offline
Ferrous4/25/16 12:50pm
Since we're getting into summer, a couple recipes for parties & dessert.

1) Stupid Easy Key Lime Pie

You will need
A pie crust
2 tins of condensed milk
approximately 7-12 limes, depending on juiciness.
1/2 cup of Heavy whipping cream.

A large mixing bowl
A small mixing bowl
A rubber spatula
A juicing apparatus
A Refrigerator
Optional, but recommended: A zester (some larger cheese graters have zesting surfaces. These will have a much finer grit than the larger cheese grater)

Sort your limes out by juiciness. This can be determined by examining the skin of the lime. The juicier a lime is, the skin will appear smooth and feel thin. Thicker skinned limes will have knobblier, rougher skin and will feel lighter.

Juice your juicing limes, emptying into your large mixing bowl. This is a great step to discover that you've an undiscovered paper cut.

Combine the condensed milk with the lime juice and stir well with your spatula. If necessary, add more lime juice to taste.

Zest about 3-4 limes and separate the two piles of zest, one about 3 times the size of the other. Combine the larger pile with the filling. Make sure you stir well to combine the zest with the filling mixture. Set aside the remaining zest.

Pour the filling into your pie crust and distribute evenly. (note: you do not HAVE to use a store-bought crust, as there are many excellent pie crust recipes available online. If you chose to make your own crust, I recommend a ginger-snap based crust as that pairs well with the lime.)

Cover and place in the fridge for about 2 hours.

While waiting for the pie to set, whip the heavy cream in your smaller bowl until it can form peaks. Just before serving, arrange the whipped cream as you see fit over the top of the pie filling.

Sprinkle the remaining zest over the whipped cream.

Recipe #2) PB & J Dessert Dip

You will need:

A large cereal bowl.
A Spoon.
1 Cup of Peanut Butter (smooth or chunky, to taste)
3/4 Cup of jam
1/2 cup of honey based cereal (Smacks work best, in my opinion)
Optional: 1/4 cup of milk chocolate chips
A pack of Oreos or any other cookie of the same size
No shame or dignity.

Combine the ingredients in the cereal bowl. Mix well until evenly combined.

dip the cookies into your peanutty jelly concoction.

If anyone gives you a funny look, invite them to try it first.

You must be logged in to post to a thread.