You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - Volume 5 Discussion Thread

Forum - DK Lounge - Story Discussion

Subscribe to this thread Volume 5 Discussion Thread created by Prometheus on August 6, 2015

PM Offline
Prometheus8/6/15 12:48pm
Over two years ago, the V4 discussion thread was made ahead of time for the sole purpose of speculation and connecting events from past installments.

So, with V4 being conpleted and released, thus concluding Act I of the series, I think it's time to begin speculating on the events of the next installment, Volume 5, which will be the kick-off point for Act II.

Note: Once most of the fanbase receives Volume 4, the spoiler tag will be removed. Until then, if you're waiting for Volume 4 to be released physically, it would be best not to read beyond this point, if the thread title spoiler warning wasn't enough to scare you. Also, since the thread has already been marked for spoilers, there's no need to mark your comments as such.

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

Here's what we now know based on newly-discovered facts from Volume 4:

- Nabonidus is in fact a dreamkeeper from the Ancient times who would become an all-powerful being and also the being to allow the Nightmares to cross over into the Dreamworld. Using a summoning circle and two twin dreamkeepers as sacrifices, he created a rift between worlds, allowing the Nightmares to cross over and wreak havoc on the Dreamworld. Many dreamkeepers would begin to flee to what is now Anduruna, some settling in a region called Logos. But Serapis, an all-powerful being as well, separated Logos from the land and into the sea, displaying her power. The few remaining dreamkeepers prepared for execution at the hands of Arazu, supposedly a Nightmare warlord, until Nabonidus stepped in and took Arazu "within." This would then mark the beginning of the Silent Centuries as Nabonidus ruled the Nightmares and surviving dreamkeepers with an iron fist and forbode the writing of any kind of text.

Realizing how strong he had become, Serapis would flee and create her own kingdom. She would then forge a plan to defeat Nabonidus by having masons convert his manor into a prison, where he would remain for all time. With the help of a dreamkeeper named Dayraider, Nabonidus was caught in the prison and Serapis buried it deep below the earth. His imprisonment would end the Silent Centuries and history would resume unhindered. The first Nightmare incursion and Nabonidus's tyrannical rule would explain how seven centuries worth of knowledge and history disappeared.

- Mace does indeed hold a very strong Power within himself. A one-of-a-kind Power, in fact. After a hazardous encounter with Tinsel in the Archives, Mace is confronted by a spirit, who instructs him to travel to the island of Logos and retrieve the key of Eresh-Kigal, which will unlock his Power. This pretty much confirms Mace's status as the stories "Chosen One."

- The dark, gritty origin of Bast's scar is revealed. He was just a little boy when he was cut and his mother had been tortured. Before succumbing to her wounds, she grabbed the red scarf and wrapped it around his neck to stop the bleeding. A family picture was seen, consisting of Bast, his mother... and Ravat. Many fans had predicted Ravat to be Bast's father simply based on appearance and they were correct. This has since been confirmed by David himself.

- With Wisp's help, Randy unlocks his power of time pause.

- Tinsel is teleported by Nabonidus to the caves beneath Sabatton to track down the children and be intentionally captured by the Troika. This is all a plot by Nabonidus to learn more about the Troika's strength since he originally thought they were destroyed. Nabonidus would also have an elaborate disguise as a skunk dreamkeeper senator running for the Viscount position. This would also confirm the theory that the skunk child at the orphanage in Volume 1 was Nabonidus as well.

- Kalei's catatonia is broken by a strange, non-power phenomenon. This is quite possibly related to the twin sacrifices Nabonidus made centuries ago that allowed the Nightmares to invade the Dreamworld. Hence, why he would kidnap Jeneviv and Kalei, only to have any similar plans sabotaged by the Scuttler by using Jeneviv to summon Void.

I've left out quite a bit, but this should start things off with the speculations. Have fun! ^^

PM Offline
Vandorbelt8/6/15 10:01pm
One of my absolute favorite things about V4 was the connections to the lore that was laid out in the history page of the website (Such a long read). I'm excited to see all the the history from the silent centuries and the wars all tying in to the story in such a pertinent way, which brings me to my speculation.
I'm thinkin' we're finally going to get to see a bit of the Serapeans(followers of Serapis). Andaruna is prohibited from expanding its colonies beyond the borders of the sky road by an ancient truce made with the Serapean people after the huge war between them. So why, if the Serapeans are gone, has Andaruna not expanded? My guess is that the Serapeans live on and continue to prosper outside of Andaruna and that there is still a connection between the two. This means that both groups are still beholden to their truce or they risk another war.
It's possible that I'm mistaken in assuming that Andaruna hasn't expanded simply because it hasn't really been given much attention, but I'm still crossing my fingers for some kind of hint at the world beyond the starfall mountains, especially since we're probably going on a journey to Logos in V5.

PM Offline
Prometheus8/7/15 10:35am
@Vanderbolt

Well, if Logos is an island, since Serapis is to be blamed for that, the adventure will probably be going out into the Alchera. Though, I too would like to see what the rest of the mainland between the mountains is like.

As for Serapeum, there's no telling what happened to them after the Extollo conflict. The people governing that country weren't on good terms with their own citizens, since they claimed that their warriors were unbeatable thanks to Serapis's power and guidance. But, when Anduruna kicked their collective asses, alot of division started to occur in Serapeum and within the Extollo military ranks.

So, it could be that the treaty no longer matters since Serapeum is probably a dead nation by now due to rebellions and in-fighting. Besides, wouldn't the farmlands outside of the city count as expansion? If the Serapeans are still around and keeping tabs on Anduruna, you would think they would have spoken to the Andurunan government about it by now or initiated military action.

PM Offline
Prometheus8/13/15 10:01am
I made this random speculation back in the Silent Centuries thread, but I wanted to bring it back up since that speculation has some legitimacy to it; based off of Nainso's readings of the scrolls Lilith scanned.

I think these cutscenes from the game "Freespace" kind of describe what may have happened when the Nightmares first crossed over into the Dreamworld at the beginning of the Silent Centuries. I can imagine a flourishing empire on a streak of conquests when the Nightmares invade the Dreamworld and the empire sees the Nightmares merciless genocide as an act of divine retribution as they're eventually wiped out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV2ANAWJbJk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSYhIymafu8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQ4PjWwJIuA

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale8/31/15 7:22pm
Looks like Dave shut everyone up when he released vol 5, I mean in a very good way. He answered almost all of our questions and the theorists and speculators became very quiet for a long time, but that doesn't mean there's no questions left unanswered. I don't know about you guys, but I spot some holes that might get the fire up going.

I'll post the stuff soon. I'll give you guys a hint: I has something to do with Igrath's wife murder, Scinter's warrant of arrest, Bast's mother's torture and death, and the desert bandits in Toll wars.

I would also like to discuss the Silent Centuries part as well, but I'll leave that open for now. ;)

PM Offline
DanWithTheHat8/31/15 8:57pm
@BryanDimmsdale: If you mean vol 4, He opened up way more questions then he answered I think. We discussed a ton already in the vol 4 thread but I'm sure there is more hidden in Vol 4 yet to be discovered...

To discuss Vol 4, I suggest we stay in the vol 4 threads already made or open up new threads on the specific topics (like the silent centuries thread already made). Lets leave this for opinions on what is going to happen next or speculation once Dave shows Volume 5 previews.

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale8/31/15 10:17pm
@DanWithTheHat: OH yeah, sorry bout that, though I wanna leave it open to see that mistake. Also, another reason why I open that because I wanna discuss the coming volume 5 as well. Once I posted the toll wars and silent centuries discussion on Vol 4 thread, I will post a theory and speculation here on what might happen in volume 5, and I'm assuming it'll be all connected in the tolls wars.

So, expect something BIG, both in the vol 4 discussion thread AND in here.

PM Offline
Vandorbelt9/1/15 4:55pm
"Looks like Dave shut everyone up when he released vol 5, I mean in a very good way." - BryanDimmsdale
Oh my God. A- are you... from the future!?
Please no Volume 5 spoilers! Also, I require lotto numbers.

PM Offline
Prometheus9/1/15 9:33pm
@DanWithTheHat

Well, nevertheless, the spoiler tag should remain up just in case. Some people will want to make V5 predictions while providing facts and references from V4 as evidence. That's bound to happen, regardless. Hence why I spoilered the thread to begin with.

But, I also agree that general V4 discussion should go in the established threads or in a new thread for the topic of your choosing. I'd say references to V4 in this thread are fine as long as they don't go into too much detail and don't deviate from the purpose of predicting and theorizing.

@Vanderbolt

Agreed. You can spoiler the impending apocalypse for us, but you'll be damned if you spoiler even one word from the next book. X'D (j/k)

PM Offline
Ferrous2/4/16 6:15pm
At the bare minimum, I'm pretty sure we can count on the following:

1) Mace & Co attempt to travel to Logos. I am confident here that they will be accompanied by Grunn, who I'll bet here and now will reveal hidden depths.

It wouldn't surprise me if we find that Grunn's hidden depth smell like rancid cabbage, but they will be deep.

2) Operation Guillotine will be in full swing. It wouldn't surprise me if we see Assassinations of at least Antioch. Also, wouldn't surprise me if someone from the Resistance tries to make Cal an asset.

3) What the heck the Neon Knives get up to after their excarceration. This may also coincide with #2 up there, since Scinter had dossiers on O'Naicul and Vox back in Volume 3.

4) Tinsel. Lots and lots of Tinsel. I'm guessing 90% of the reason Nabonidus wanted her captured would be because, while he can't find Troika HQ, he can find her and, thus, them.

5) More tender moments between Lilith and Bast.

6) Woods being Woods.

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale2/4/16 9:59pm
Don't forget the deaths of one of our favorite characters XD. You'll never know.

Other than that, they're pretty spot on.

PM Offline
Animefan182/10/16 11:34pm
I finally caved in and got vol. 4.. it was like watching a horror movie that you were forbidden to see.

everything was great. the revelation, art, character conflicts, so much stuff dave put in this wonderful series will be the story that will be remembered for centuries to come.

my reactions so far: I lol'd reading namah's diary, where she doodled mace complementing on Lilith's certain ARSEnal, but what I want to know is what happened after they were brought in. were they questioned on why they left the tower? did their father visit them(probably not)? what will happen when bast meets his father? so many questions, more hype.

also while looking at pg.110, panel 4, where Lilith and kalei. I was wondering what kalei is telling Lilith and the first thing that came to mind is: girl gossip...I facepalmed so hard.

Dave please keep making this wonderful series

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale2/10/16 11:41pm
To be honest, I find most books that have the "transitional period" is vol 3 or vol 4. And DK is no exception. I'm guessing the vol 5 would be the revealing and the intensifier.

PM Offline
Animefan182/10/16 11:42pm
now describe transitional period

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale2/10/16 11:47pm
Transitional period - in the novel terminology, it is the turning point of the story. That means the beginning/introduction has ended and the story starts to climb up to it's climax point.

You must be logged in to post to a thread.