You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - A Dreamkeepers tabletop RPG

Forum - Reality - Miscellaneous

Subscribe to this thread A Dreamkeepers tabletop RPG created by SandwichPie on February 16, 2015

PM Offline
SandwichPie2/16/15 2:41pm
Anybody interesting in the idea of a DK tabletop RPG? I am a little obsessed when it comes to tabletop RPGs, and I have already made a crude D&D-style character sheet for DK ( https://40.media.tumblr.com/4f1bd0dee1dab9ae7ffae2cbf59a97d7/tumblr_njvvrglTzQ1thqljqo1_1280.jpg ), but I was wondering if anybody else would be interested in having a new RPG for this.
I'd love to make one if anybody is interested, but I'd need help for ideas and such.

PM Offline
BryanDimmsdale2/19/15 5:49am
I'm interested. But the problem is that there is a DK roleplay down there already. So it's kinda not needed anymore, sorry if I offend you.

PM Offline
SandwichPie2/19/15 9:16am
Nagh, tis cool. I know there is DK RP going on, but I was on about a fully fleashed out tabetop version. One that works with character stats and so forth.

PM Offline
Corvus2/21/15 5:40pm
At one point I was debating actually writing down the basic ideas for my Dreamkeepers system based RPG, but I don't really have an abundance of time with which to play-test it so it wouldn't really be worth the effort even if there were potential players.

The best piece of advice I can give you if you are trying to make one of your own is to pick a system that fits the setting decently before you start making modifications, rather than picking a system that needs large portions of the game replaced or shoving the setting awkwardly into the system in order to work. In this case, on the surface Dreamkeepers may seem like a fantasy-ish setting, but from RPG systems you are probably going to get significantly better support from a low-power supers game system(Mutants and Masterminds is the only one I have experience with), or a flexible Universal game system which allows you to implement Powers in a more or less uniform way.(I was personally working with Fate Accelerated which plays fast and loose, though if you want your gameplay closer to D&D in terms of crunchiness Fate Core would be another great choice)

The one final thing I will say is definitely don't make the classic mistake of trying to get D&D to work, as it rarely does, especially when trying to give characters only a single supernatural power, and giving it to everyone. (inevitably you end up stating 90% of characters as a single class which doesn't play well with the system.)

PM Offline
SandwichPie2/22/15 4:23am
@ Corvus
You seem to be one of the few people who seem to have knowledge on game design. I have spent a long time researching this topic (As I have no life), and I agree with your points; even reaching many of the same conclusions.
I was not planning on copying D&D, instead I was planning on implementing and entirely D6 driven mechanics system with as few modifiers and/or calculations as possible to let the game run smoothly.
However, you have raised the point of my largest problem: What is the main tone/theme that would underlie a DK RPG? Is it combat, character interactions, exploration? This question is made harder because everyone will answer differently. What sort of tone/theme do you think would be the most fun (for most people)?

PM Offline
Corvus2/22/15 11:41am
Now that is one of the hardest questions to actually answer, as there isn't actually a clear answer. the one good thing though is that when writing up your game rules it is actually possible to cover most of the bases:

Combat - Pretty much any game system needs some sort conflict resolution system which can range from tactical board gaming (D&D) to Narrative based resolution (Fate) or simple roll offs (many simpler RPGs)

Character interactions - Pretty much there are two camps to this, ranging from the tried and true 'just talk' to the classic 'Roll to convince them'.(plus a few oddballs, like Fate using the combat system for talking under certain circumstances)

Exploration - Generally if you are adapting another setting to work for you, you can pretty much leave this up to the gamemaster to figure out, with you only really needing to get involved in this portion of gameplay when you are making a custom setting. Of course if you mean D&D 'adventuring' rules relating to dragging supplies along and surviving in deserts, I personally suggest just letting the GM figure out something that works for them, as these rules end up going unused in the vast majority of games and just make all the rest more complicated.(personally I resolve these as matters of plot rather than gameplay.)

Powers - The one thing from the setting that you will more or less be required to add a way of handling though are Powers, as these are one of the most defining features of the setting, though this is certainly a tall order given the fact that the setting doesn't really have limits on what they can be. Personally I had been planning on handling this using a general character defining mechanic in Fate called Aspects, which allow you at cost to gain one of a few fixed benefits as long as you can justify the flavor of the aspect being applicable, as well as establishing things that must be true. Alternatively you can always just use a Supers game system and just let players buy their power off lists.

PM Offline
SandwichPie2/22/15 1:56pm
I was planning on using a character interaction system without dice rolls, I feel like they dictate too much. For example; somebody proposes a plan that benefits everyone but rolls a fail and the character then breaks character. After that, I will leave interactions up to the players, as some people like direct conversation, and some people (Like me) prefer it 3rd person.

Combat is interesting, and I feel that DK is a world based on immersion, not tactical thinking. I would therefore like to refrain from using 6 dice with different jobs, and instead use only the d6. It stops all the fumbling around finding dice, and d6s can easily be used for success rates and damage as easy as a d20 ever could.
I also plan on trying to not use numerical modifiers (sums like 1d6+7 or counting totals) as mental maths can quickly make a game slower and less engaging.

I am also not going to concentrate too much on powers. Many players would (Logically) start not knowing what their power is, and even when they do, it would be so unique to every other power, it is easier to do them as a case-by-case ruleset.

PM Offline
Corvus2/22/15 2:48pm
Using only d6s is all well and good, but without modifiers how do you intend to determine results? While it is possible to use truly arbitrary rolls to determine outcomes, it ends up making things hard for a GM to control what can and cannot be done, whereas you can also have a sliding target number which ends up being equivalent to adding a modifier.

With regards to powers, that is one way to look at it, though I personally think it is better to plan ahead so there are convient places in the system for GMs to implement the special rules per character for Powers, rather than hacking them on the side of things or just forgoing the normal mechanics entirely to implement a power.

PM Offline
SandwichPie2/23/15 5:35am
I am not going to use sliding targets, as I am aware of the issue that poses.

I understand the issue that seems to arise via only using d6s, but there are ways around that. I will use modifiers, just not numerical ones. For example: A hard hit will be needing to land on 5-6 with only 1d6, but if it is an easier hit, I just add another d6, doubling the success rate. I can also make it so you need to get multiple dice landing on 5-6 (Or other numbers), halving (Or other fractions, obviously) the success rate. This allows a very dynamic success system without any numerical modifiers or crazy dice. Of course this will need testing, but this system may be the basic formula for a very easy and quick dice checking mechanic.

And as a response to powers, I agree. It is just hard to see how I can implement them very well. I guess I could have a 'burnout' mechanic, but writing something so diverse into the rules themselves will be a challenge.

PM Offline
Corvus2/23/15 7:23am
Ah yes... Dice pools... Great for players but a nightmare for GMs who try controlling the outcomes of rolls. More or less you make things easier for the players by removing all math from their side of the game, by instead making the GM handle extremely non-intuitive probabilities in order to actually get the result they want, or more commonly just guessing and hoping they didn't make the outcome practically impossible or too easy to get. Honestly you can get more or less the same effect with your traditional modifiers by just having the GM change the target number for the modifiers, and only having a single character modifier be applied rather than forcing the GM to break out a calculator every time the players try to do something that isn't in the script.

PM Offline
SandwichPie2/23/15 9:15am
Heh, I understand what you are saying. I am always the GM, and I will gladly put aside my enjoyment for the players. I guess that most people would not like to do that, so I could write a basic sheet that tells the GM about probabilities of rolls. It will help the GM in the end anyway, because once he/she knows the basic probability rolls, it speeds up the game a lot allowing story and so forth to progress.

PM Offline
Aman37123/2/15 6:47pm
I would like to buy a hundred of those XD

PM Offline
MobileCrusader3/12/15 10:55am
What about Trinity? Dave has handed us a system to use. I tried to get a game going in the past but it died for lack of interest.

PM Offline
ZycantAlpha3/12/15 7:30pm
That's true.

PM Offline
Lycanphoenix9/26/15 10:25pm
Is this thing still alive? I have been playing a lot of Pathfinder lately, and I would love to be able to use the dream world (including Anduruna) as a campaign setting.

I do wish I could combine the tactically-oriented D20 system with Theatre-of-Mind narrative systems though... Preferably without switching to a system as convoluted as Shadowrun's.

You must be logged in to post to a thread.