You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - R 63 Namah Cosplay Discussion Thread

Forum - DK Lounge - DK Art Gallery

Subscribe to this thread R 63 Namah Cosplay Discussion Thread created by MobileCrusader on February 12, 2014

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/12/14 3:28pm
Ive discussed the idea very mildly with Dave via email, and he has given me his blessing to create a Gender Swap Cosplay outfit of Namah. You may be asking:

"Why Namah, Mobile? You are already a guy, why not a male character?"

Because she is awesome, and I want to.

What I would like to discuss with you all is the finer points of the costume. I want to run some of the choices by you for feedback, and I would appreciate any links to relevant memorabilia you happen upon.

Note: I have an $800 budget, so money isn't a huge issue.

Note 2: I've been looking for less than 24 hours, so i dont have a lot of options selected yet. Ive looked at Amazon mostly because I was in class and I have a Prime Membership.

Pink/Purple Wig is a necessity since I doubt I could dye my own hair and maintain it for the rare occasions that this outfit would necessitate. Ive only really checked Amazon at this point in time, so the link I'm about to post could be subject to change.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B47CPVA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XIANO7F51L5S&coliid=I2UGKN93GRLYQX

Tan Undershirt is the most standard thing on the list, and really easy to come across. ill most likely look for the best deal at the time I place the order, but this link is a placeholder for now.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZF0J8G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XIANO7F51L5S&coliid=I895AR7GGKND9

The Deep Off Purple (Navy?) Coat is more of a problem than the rest of the outfit so far. Ive found a number of cool coats on Amazon, but they all are Two row button and none are quite Knee Length. The top choice right now is
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00877M8XU/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15JAP1DQ6JW27&coliid=IGNOQM7Y13UKC
Which is sadly out of stock ATM. I'll keep my eye on it, but I'm not holding my breath.
The other option is to buy something like a labcoat...
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0034535KA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XIANO7F51L5S&coliid=I3N5V6BA0LMFHZ
and dye/sew it. I have sewing experience, and my grandmother is a seamstress so i think i can handle that... and it might be cooler for use indoors as opposed to the real coat shown above.

Pink/Purple pants are giving me a bit of trouble ATM, but I feel I'll be able to find a suitable pair soon enough. I'm honestly looking into getting a pair of women's pants due to the styles as compared to male choices.

Striped Knee Socks/Leggings/??? are easy enough to find. I'm really just looking to find a pair of pants to match around before I make a final selection. right now im looking at
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007XGGJEK/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1XIANO7F51L5S&coliid=IHFBMWFNAMDQT
which are good enough for me. I'll most likely edit them to make the odd hem things she has above her feet.

Shoes/Footwear I am absolutely without suggestion here.

Tail is still giving me trouble too. Ive had the idea of using a Halloween costume devil tail thing and painting it, but i cannot find a tail that satisfies me in both length and material. I might end up sewing my own if it keeps up like this.

Feel free to post suggestions and links for me. I need criticism, ideas, and insight.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/12/14 4:46pm
Had an idea for the footwear. What if I used those toe-shoes that people run in sometimes? Something like
http://www.amazon.com/Vibram-Fivefingers-Water-Shoes-Black-Black-Black/dp/B004DSRKTE/ref=sr_1_2?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1392248614&sr=1-2&keywords=toe+shoes
maybe I would look for some in purple... or I could always paint them if worst comes to worst.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/12/14 8:27pm
Im going to end up fashioning the horns myself, i am willing to bet. I am probably going to use sections of wood 2x2 and some woodworking tools. Ive done that sort of thing before, so i am confident in my ability.

Paint and detailing will be a rather easy follow up.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/13/14 7:21pm
Dave says that the Horns are "Just a bit longer than palm to fingertips" maybe 9"

Im thinking about using 2" dowel instead of 2x2s

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/13/14 8:23pm
So I do believe that, as long as everything goes well, I will be able to attend MCFC 2014. I fully intend to debut this costume there since there will be a Dreamkeepers booth there and its only two hours away. Lets hope this all goes over well.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/13/14 9:49pm
So, I know they are honestly chick socks, but its seeming that
http://www.amazon.com/ProSource-Discounts-Socks-Purple-Medium/dp/B008KPKDEA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392353230&sr=8-4&keywords=purple+socks
is a very cheap idea. I walk around barefoot all the time, so I dont think its a big deal.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/13/14 10:46pm
Im debating if i should try to go for a pink or purple color scheme. Namah seems to be closer to pink than purple, but all pinks are too vibrant or hot for the color scheme, and i am going for a male version. I think I am going to go for a pink setup because I want to be closer to the source material.

I dont know, it just really hard.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/13/14 11:02pm
The tail is gonna be tight. Ive been planning it during the times that i cannot find other components online. Its going to have an overall length of about 4' with a 1/2" base that tapers in to a 1/4' section just below the tip. the tip will most likely be stuffed and triangular, not unlike Namah's tail. The core will consist of vinyl tubing because it is cheap and easy to work with.

I will be making it from components picked up online and around me, and should be one of the first items i complete due to my progression on the plans.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/14/14 6:07am
Dyeing is the solution to all my problems...

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/14/14 8:47am
I'm going to go shopping this weekend, probably going to pick up the supplies for the tail and begin work on that. I might also pick up some dyes.

PM Offline
DanWithTheHat2/15/14 4:54pm
This costume sounds more and more epic as it comes together. :)

I agree with using the dyes. That's probably the best way to get close to Namah's color scheme.

Also, in the new Namah poster, she is wearing a white undershirt under the coat. That would be a little cheaper as well to get.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/15/14 9:17pm
I picked up all the dyes and threads and paints I will need today, and forgot to pick up cloth. My bad. I'm placing the order on amazon for the tubing, and stopping in at Walmart or something to get the cloth and see if I can find some cheap components (as compaired to amazon).

Monday I'm going to register for MCFC so that's a thing. I look forward to seeing you there, Dave!

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/15/14 9:29pm
I forgot to mention I picked up the dowel for the horns.

I'm going to post the specs of the tail here now.

It will consist of four sections that are joined together:

The vinyl tube core, length section, and the two halves tip section.

The length section is 3 feet long, and before sewing it will be trapezoidal in shape. The base is going to be somewhere around 21/10 of an inch wide (2π(1/2)+(1/2))", and the tip is going to be 13/10 if memory serves (2π(1/4)+(1/2))".

The twin tip sections will be approximately (π(1/4)+1)" bases that extend 8" to the tip structures, an irregular diamond that is (4+1)" wide and (4+(1/2)) long. The sections will be joined up using half inch seams (x+"number here is seam length").

The total length of tail will be just under four feet.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/16/14 5:47am
For some reason, the forum converted Pi to π

That's that those chains of characters are above.

PM Offline
MobileCrusader2/16/14 1:22pm
Just placed the order for most of the outfit... it should be arriving within the week. Construction will begin when it arrives. ill post work in progress pics as the outfit takes form.

You must be logged in to post to a thread.