You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - What Books Are You Reading?

Forum - Reality - Culture Clash

Subscribe to this thread What Books Are You Reading? created by WiseOwlReader on May 17, 2013

PM Offline
WiseOwlReader5/17/13 9:42pm
Currently, I've been reading three books in three subjects: Psychology, Philosophy and Politics/Essays. Alfred Adler's "Understanding Human Nature: The Psychology of Personality", Albert Camus's "The Stranger" and Christopher Hitchens "Letters To a Young Contrarian."

I was wondering what everyone else is reading here. What drew me to Dreamkeepers aside from the story, artwork and characters was the Lovecraftian like monsters in the graphic novel and art commissions. On that note with H.P. Lovecraft, anyone have any favorite short stories of his?

PM Offline
joeden5/17/13 10:02pm
I'm currently rereading silverwing by Kenneth oppel

PM Offline
Gloves5/19/13 1:05pm
I'm working through Giovanni Bocaccio's Decameron (apologies if I misspelled the name), a book of short stories from the Italian Renaissance. It's sexist as hell, and pretty weird, but kind of a fun read.

I recently finished Catch-22, an entirely amazing novel, and am also reading Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5, which is good, but not as good as Catch-22. My mom recommended another of his books, which I'll probably read over the summer.

PM Offline
Thegunner185/19/13 3:12pm
H.P.Lovecraft is definitely on my list of authors whose books I need to read, but I'm already so in love with novels that have dystopian settings like Wool (by Hugh Howey) and Metro 2033 (by a man with a very complicated Russian name). I don't know what it is, but post-apocalyptic books really catch my attention.

Also, A Lion Called Christian. Read that book. It's one of the most heartwarming things I've read. And all of it's true! :D

PM Offline
T3rminal5/19/13 9:53pm
I actually have some of H.P. Lovecraft's stories and find them all extremely interesting. The whole of the Cthulhu Mythos is very interesting to think about.

As for books, some of my favorite are the Dresden files by Jim Butcher. The TV show doesn't do it justice.

Also, The Incarnations of Immortality by Piers Anthony is a great series. Great thing about them is you can read them in any order you want, and they'll still make complete sense. Very well written in my opinion and a must read.

PM Offline
HazzardousEco5/20/13 2:27am
To be honest, I can't find myself a copy of At The Mountains of Madness. Sure I adore the BBC Radio Adaptation, but I found out it's actually a disgested version of Mountains of Madness, with supposedly entire paragraphs edited out, eiether because it wasn't moving the story forward or they had only had a certain amount of alotted time.

But yeah, my local Bestsellers don't even know what the heck I'm talking about...bloody uncultured fiends =P

So if anyone knows where I can snag a copy of Mountains, I'd be so happy

Here's the first link to the BBC Radio version of Mountains:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAd00BM31lk

Huh? Oh, what I'm currently reading? Not really a book per se, but my latest Game Informer magazine =)

PM Offline
CalvinCopyright5/29/13 11:23am
Oh god, I have a three- or four-inch thick book with ALL of Lovecraft's stories. Got it for Christmas. It's wonderful.

My current favorite book is Homeland, sequel to Little Brother - two of the most kickass novels I've read. By Cory Doctorow.

PM Offline
ezioauditore975/29/13 2:32pm
I am reading Shadow's Edge part 2 of the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks.It has been a pretty good series so far and I can vouch for the quality.

PM Offline
Tenebrae6/6/13 9:28pm
Recently finished George R.R Martin's A Dance with Dragons (book 5 of the Song of Ice and Fire series, book 1 being the infamous Game of Thrones).

It's brutal, grim, and I've heard the TV show described as... well I'm sure you know, and it's fairly accurate to the books, too.
But the writing's indisputably superb, as well. Excellent characters and writing in all levels, from plot to character development.

Favorite Author of all time though remains Peter F. Hamilton, a Sci-Fi author. Wonderful books, and each a different, very intriguing possibility of the future

PM Offline
WiseOwlReader6/25/13 5:35pm
Just wanted to give an Update on my reading list. Am still going through "Understanding Human Nature: The Psychology of Personality" by Alfred Adler, "The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language" by Steven Pinker, "The Plague" by Albert Camus.

Recently, I have begun to focus more on books covering Neuroscience, psychology and lingustics. I look forward to such works as "About Behaviorism" by B.F. Skinner and "The Tell-Tale Brain: A Neuroscientist's Quest for What Makes Us Human" by V.S. Ramachandran.

Though I must admit, Camus's work has held my attention. A writer and philosopher, I enjoy his themes, ideas and concepts which I find useful to understand my own existence.

PM Offline
ezioauditore976/25/13 7:12pm
Right now I am reading a Warhammer 40K omnibus entitled "The Saint" which has the second arc of the "Gaunt's Ghosts" series by Dan Abnett and I just finished the second book in the night angel series called "Shadow's Edge".

PM Offline
MrAerospace6/26/13 12:57am
WiseOwlReader: Camus is an interesting read, I prefer reading his works in French so as not to lose anything in translation, but it's a little difficult to both obtain and read.
I'd suggest reading the Myth of Sisyphus as well if you like his work. If I were to subscribe to any one philosophical doctrine, Absurdism would rate fairly high on my list, because of Camus's concept that a making a leap of faith in the absence of proof is philosophical suicide.

Here's something for all critical minds who are , it's a 94page read, but it really is an eye-opener:
Water for the recovery of the planet: A New Water Paradigm. - Kravcík, Pokorný, Kohutiar, Kovác;, Tóth
http://www.vodnaparadigma.sk/home/homeen.html

PM Offline
MrAerospace6/26/13 1:02am
Oh, also, for those who are interested in seeing the above being put into practice, read up on Natural Sequence Farming and Permaculture. There's some incredible ideas out there that are actually dealing with climate change the right way.

PM Offline
WiseOwlReader8/20/13 8:18am
MrAerospace: Thanks for the suggestion. I read Camus's "The Myth of Sisyphus", it was highly enjoyable. I already have a few of his books: "The Rebel", "The Fall", "Resistance, Rebellion, and Death", along with "The Plague."

I plan to get to "Resistance, Rebellion, and Death" after finishing up the current Philosophy book I'm reading now. I also wanted to update my current lineup.

"The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat" by Oliver Sacks, he's a famous neurologist, the book is about the unusual cases he encountered. Then I have "Fear and Trembling" by Soren Kierkegaard, he's fast becoming my favorite philosopher. I also have plans to get through Ludwig Wittgenstein's "Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus."

As you might have guessed, I have a hell of a list facing me. Seriously, I love this kind of stuff.

You must be logged in to post to a thread.