You are not logged in.
Dreamkeepers Forums - A Crossroads

Forum - Reality - Miscellaneous

Subscribe to this thread A Crossroads created by Ferrous on May 5, 2016

PM Offline
Ferrous5/5/16 7:51am
So, I'm at a critical juncture in my life.

For the last 6 and a half years, I've made my way up the ladder in a rent-a-car company and I've been moderately successful at managing my business, my employees, etc. But at the same time, opportunities to advance have rapidly diminished. The company isn't expanding, the industry is changing, and there isn't as much upside for me here anymore. The two best things I've got going for me here is that I get a company car all expenses paid, and I've a steady paycheck.

Over the last 3 years, or so my Wife has built up an online business through Etsy. While she initially set it up as a way to earn income after the birth of our 2nd kid, last summer the whole thing took off. During January & February, which are the slow times of the year, she was out earning me. Furthermore, since a good chunk of her business is wedding-based, we're about to get into the busy time of the year. (For frame of reference, she was earning as much last summer as she was in January and February, and basically doubled what she did year over year this year. I say this not to brag, though I am justifiably proud of what my wife has done, but to illustrate what the spike in her business will probably be.) Also, both our kids are about to get out of school for summer break, which means she's going to have to contend with two bored and active kids in the middle of her busy season.

So, at this point, I don't see much other recourse to give notice to my job. The upside for me is pretty obvious. I won't have to deal with shifty, duplicitous customers, stupid corporate rules, lousy employees, and all that nonsense. And as much as I'm looking forward to putting this company behind me, I still have that fear of leaving something familiar for something new. And while I'm looking forward to being truly self-employed, the worry I'd have is what if it doesn't work out and I have to go back to someone else's company.

Either way, these next few months should be interesting.

Wish me luck!

PM Offline
Kirito5/5/16 1:51pm
That's incredible! I'm genuinely ecstatic for you and your wife. While unknown territory can be scary, I believe that you guys will thrive.

Congratulations, and good luck!

PM Offline
ZycantAlpha5/6/16 1:15pm
I think at this point, you just need to have faith that things'll work out. You've got a pretty solid set-up, so you should be good.

I don't think you'll really need this, but good luck. We're pulling for you, and we know you'll do great!

PM Offline
wildcard5/7/16 7:39pm
Whats the Etsy business?

PM Offline
Ferrous5/9/16 7:59am
So, Etsy is sort of a backbone for hand-made products (or near hand-made). I think Liz sells Skitters Critters through them as well.

My wife got into the business right after we had our 2nd kid, and it's been a real blessing because she's been able to run a business out of our apartment and still be there to raise our kids.

I do recommend checking out Etsy, cause there's a whole bunch of cool, bespoke things.

You must be logged in to post to a thread.